Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Unsafe lane change JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with

Customer Question

unsafe lane change
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: but I ahve question for it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: this is first time to do this
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us and what is the situation?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got unsafe land change ticket! I didnot know that that is for points and insurance pointS! is there any chance to remove the points?
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry, but the way this system works the more information you give us the better information we can provide you.
We do not know what state you got the ticket in, you need to tell us.
We do not know what state your license is from, you need to tell us.
We do not know what you did to get the ticket, you need to tell us.
Did you plead guilty and pay this already, you need to tell us.
Tell us anything else you think we should know about your situation as well.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My licence is from Nj! and ticket from fort lee nj!i did not pay yetI got this ticket from two days ago!I was turn to left corner- did not check the blind spot! there was accident and officer came for that! and he gave me this ticket
Thank you for your reply.
Okay, so unsafe lane change under NJSA 39:4-88, which carries TWO points and TWO insurance points and a fine of $200 plus it is possible (highly unlikely unless you are a habitual offender) to get up to 15 days in jail. It is only FOUR points if you have had previous unsafe driving convictions in the past five years, which you did not mention you had. Also, for unsafe lane change the court has the discretion of suspending your license for a length of time determined by the court.
However, you need to plead not guilty and go to court and get a conference with the prosecutor. You need to bring proof that your insurance is handling the damage to the other vehicle and you can then negotiate with the prosecutor.
You can ask the prosecutor to allow you to plead to obstructing traffic which is a much lesser offense.
If this is more than your first offense, then you need to go to court with a local attorney because many times you can go to trial and the other driver will not show up if their damages are paid for and you can get found not guilty in trial.