Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Purchasing a new home. The property pricing guide lists one

Customer Question

Purchasing a new home. The property pricing guide lists one price one day; six days later, the pricing guide changes. The only plan with a printed increase is the plan I expressed an interest in six days before. Was told on first visit that my agent would need to be present for me to make an offer since I had an agent; needed the agent to make an appointment with the onsite agent. Returned with my agent ant the price was increased. Realized difference in price and brought it to their attention. No reasonable explanation offered. Moved forward with offer but something seems off. The floor plan I'm under contract on is the only one with a price increase--out of 30+offered. What can I do at this point if anything?
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.,Unfortunately the seller is free to increase their price at any time and for any reason at all prior to a written contract being signed. It is possible that this particular floor plan suddenly became popular so supply diminished and the seller figured they could get more for the remaining inventory..So the written contract controls the transaction and whatever price you agreed to in writing is the price you are obligated to pay..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. What if I have other pricing material that indicates that the increased pricing was exclusively for me? Another person received a price guide that had that original price (after the time at which I offered)?
The advertised price essentially means nothing... It is only what is actually put on the lease contract that counts from a legal perspective. So just like used car sales, they only have to offer one at that price and then can jack up the price on everyone else. It is up to the consumer as to whether or not to agree to the requested price and enter into a lease contract...thanksBarrister