Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I have a friend went to Ghana, West Africa to take care of

Customer Question

I have a friend went to Ghana, West Africa to take care of uncle want business since they had passed away to take care of this date the uncle had a security business. There dealing in gold security firm. She is there. Now trying to get it settled lawyer needs a certain amount of money to get the documents to either sell or deliver the gold to the US she having a problem seating funds from the account in the US has a financial banker working on this problem, my question is, is are some legal way for this financial banker officer to send funds to her to pay for this. He has control of her account the US it's a large sum of funds I know a little bit about Ghana be experienced there with another friend. The villagers had given her the gold you have to have a license leave with the gold is are some legal easy way for transferring funds to this person other than trying to send money through money gram or Western Union
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Is this friend of yours who went to Ghana someone who you have not yet met except electronically over a computer, phone, etc? Because people who ask a question like this are almost always the target of a romance scammer. You meet someone who claims to fall in love with you at first sight but before you can actually meet her, she suddenly has to go to Africa to settle a relative's estate there. She's coming into a fortune in gold which she tells you she will share with you so that the two of you can live happily and wealthily ever after. Except there's some problem with getting the gold. And a problem getting her own money. On the other hand, there's no problem with getting her hands on YOURS. BEWARE! If this woman were really an heiress in a country as poor as Ghana, she wouldn't need your money. She's got gold, she'd have credit, and she'd be able to have any number of lawyers working for her on contingency for a piece of the estate once it was settled. She can also access the funds in her US bank from anywhere in the world. If she had trouble with it the US embassy could assist. As for the so called gold, there's only one way to get gold from Ghana to the US, and that is through the Ghanaian government. She cannot carry it back with her on the plane. It must be shipped by the PMMC, a government agency that regulates gold exports. So this scenario is nonsense and could never really occur. You can read how gold must be exported from Ghana here. This scam comes complete with phony documents, fake barristers, and phony court orders. You can upload any of that with your reply. If you have the name of the so-called lawyer she is working with you can give me that too.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will give you some more information the person that's handling her us bank account here in the US name is ***** ***** in Madison, Wisconsin Bank of America I know about gold scam from Ghana I know that you have to have documents to ship from there I have been in contact with ***** ***** having trouble getting funds to her to pay for the lawyers there in Ghana. Thank you for your help. It may be a scam do not know us why am talking to you. They had not asked any funds from me
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
It sounds like they are only one hair away from asking for money from you. We have NEVER heard one of these Ghana heiress stories prove to be the real thing, and believe me when I tell you that from the number of questions we get just like yours, you'd think every woman in Ghana was an heiress just ready and willing to share a storage vault filled with gold bars with some stranger they're seducing over the internet. ATM cards work all over the world, and as I've said, the US embassy would help her reach her funds if she really had them. Why would a banker from Wisconsin call you to complain about sending someone else's funds to Ghana? All of that is personal information that banks keep confidential. Your "friend" and her banker could coordinate everything through the US Embassy in Accra. You're being set up, sir, and if they haven't asked you for money yet, they will. Is your friend an internet romance you've never met. Can you upload her photo with your reply? I can't always trace where the photo came from but frequently, a photo search can reveal a scammer.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thre