Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Can a 501(C) (3) get in trouble approx 14 thousand dollars

Customer Question

Can a 501(C) (3) get in trouble for returning approx 14 thousand dollars worth of furniture that a donor gave last year and requested a donation letter right before their IRS Audit. Now they are requesting all the furniture back. I believe we may have unknowingly hid furniture from the IRS for this company and if we return it could we be implicated in any wrong doing. We just found out this company is in trouble and owes the IRS a large amount of money. I believe this company is wanting items back to sell and pay back IRS after claiming the donation.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
You have a very valid concern. My suggestion would be that you contact the IRS and get their approval to return the gift so that you have documented it and if they wamt to pursue the donor they can. Alternatively you can refuse the donor or ask that they pay you the value of the furniture.