Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received a writ of execution on Tuesday May 17. The docs

Customer Question

I received a writ of execution on Tuesday May 17. The docs were stamped May 3 and the post mark was dated May 13. I am in Nevada, how much time do I have before the order is executed. The order does not list any specific asset, but only property or wages.
Thanks, Denis
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The writ of execution can be executed upon immediately upon being stamped by the court. Even though you did not receive them until May 17, the execution could be carried out immediately upon signing by the judge and entry of the order. Many times, a writ of execution is carried out without notice to the debtor until after execution (this is to prevent hiding of assets) and it happens frequently in seizure of bank accounts. They have to serve a garnishment order on your employer or bank or come to seize your property and you would have the right to object to these writs within 5 days of notice of any seizure. See: NV RS 31.030
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I file bankruptcy to protect any property
Thank you for your reply.
If you qualify for bankruptcy you could file bankruptcy to extinguish the judgment completely. However, the same property exempt from seizure in bankruptcy is the same property exempt from seizure in this writ of execution and here are the bankruptcy exemptions in NV: https://www.legalconsumer.com/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-law.php?ST=NV