KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I am A Registered Nurse who is currently collecting SS. My

Customer Question

I am A Registered Nurse who is currently collecting SS. My son is a recovereing heroin addict who is attending a University to be able to become a productive citizen. We support his going to school, but we buy his groceries, pay his rent, utilities and cable (for internet access. I would like to work but am limited on how much I can make. Are there any ways of making more because
1. There is a great need for RN's all over the country.(i would stay in Tucson and work only part time---2 days a week.
2. It seems to me these restrictions that SS have put into place are VERY RESTRICTIVE. Inflation is rampant and my son does work, but he does not even make enough to pay his rent.
Please advise. 2016 will be the first year we are able to claim my son as a dependant.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Until you reach your full retirement age of 66, Social Security will subtract money from your retirement check if you exceed a certain amount of earned income for the year. For the year 2016, this limit on earned income is $15,720 ($1,310 per month). That means you can earn up to that amount and not have any amount deducted from your check to help your son.Since you are already receiving your retirement benefits, depending on when you will turn 66, you may be in a “special higher earnings limit.” This special limit applies in the 12 months before you turn your full retirement age. If you will reach full retirement age during 2016, you may earn up to $3,490 per month during this year, without losing any of your benefits. (But keep in mind that for every $3 you earn over that amount in any calendar month, you will lose $1 in Social Security benefits). However, the month you reach full retirement age, you become eligible to earn any amount without penalty.Another exception is if you are self-employed, you may receive full benefits for any month during this first year in which you did not perform what Social Security considers substantial services. The test they use for whether you worked substantial services is whether you worked in your business, more than 45 hours during the month (or between 15 and 45 hours in a highly skilled occupation, such as nursing). You would have to complete a quarterly statement describing your income and verify it to Social security, and they will ask for proof and documents such as pay and personnel records, personal and business tax returns, and business expense records. I hope this helps with your question.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just ask. If not, please rate the question for tracking and credit.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just ask. If not, please rate the question for tracking and credit
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
If you are satisfied please rate the answer as "positive" for tracking and credit purposes. Thank you.