Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I am a massage therapist and my place of employment often asks

Customer Question

I am a massage therapist and my place of employment often asks me to bring my child to work so they can book me appointments. I am sometimes away from my 7 year old son for 90min-2hrs during appointments and other employees watch him during this time. I feel bullied into this situation and am wondering if it is legal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. While it is unusual for your employer to ask you to bring your kids to work – most employers want the exact opposite – it is not illegal for them to do so. However, you are well within your rights to say that you don't feel comfortable with your children being there. They can't terminate you for not wanting to bring your children into such an establishment or feeling that they are not adequately cared for there - but they are within their rights to terminate you if they feel you are not available for the number of hours they need you for each week ( more accurately, the number of hours they hired you for each week). I hope that makes sense. I wish I could tell you that it was completely illegal but I would just be lying to you and then I wouldn't be doing my job.
Hello again. I wanted to check in with you to see if you have any questions, and to see how everything is going with you.