CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I've lived with a man in what is now legally his house for

Customer Question

I've lived with a man in what is now legally his house for 13 years as man and wife, but,
not legally married.
can he kick me out with a 30 day notice ? And, how can I legally stay, since I can't afford to move.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation.If you are not on title as owner of the home, then yes, you can be forced to leave with 30 days notice (you do not give the state that the home is located in - a couple of states will give you more time, such as CA which would give you 60 days notice, but the vast majority only require 30, some even less).If you do not vacate the home in 30 days, he can file what is called an unlawful detainer or forcible entry and detainer ("eviction") action and get a court order for possession. You will then be forcibly evicted by the sheriff or constable.If you need assistance (including financial assistance) in relocating, contact your local (usually county) housing authority and let them know that you are facing imminent eviction and that you need help with housing. They can place you higher on the priority list and assist you with finding housing and financial assistance.