Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

My husband quit a union job in California to come out to Oklahoma

Customer Question

my husband quit a union job in California to come out to Oklahoma to start a family business with his parents. We've invested many hours and our own monies. Then after 6 years they told him that he was just an employee. This was not the agreement that they had. There is nothing in writing nor did he think he'd need one from his parents. Now their trying to push him completely out of the business. Is there anything that can be done to stop this?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Everything turned around when my husband started asking about the finances.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
So sorry to hear this. At this point the only way to retain any ownership interest would be to file a lawsuit.
Of course suing one's parents would be difficult emotionally it may be a necessity to either retain ownership or seek damages related to quitting his job and moving in reliance on his parent's false promises.