Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My 14 year of daughter went to an appointment at Kaiser today

Customer Question

My 14 year of daughter went to an appointment at Kaiser today to see a psychiatrist, to get put on medication for anxiety. He mentioned that she had thought of suicide, in the past, but never attempted. The doctor called her 5150, placed a guard on her and had her transported to a facility. We did sign anything and now she is on a 72 watch in a facility. Was this legal? Can we get her out sooner? She is a timid girl and we want her home. HELP
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'm so sorry for you and your family. She must frankly be terrified in there. Unfortunately once someone is on a psych hold the only way to really get them out prior to the 72 hours is to convince the physician(s) that would be in her best interests.
I know it probably doesn't make you feel any better, but psychiatric holds are used only when they are only absolutely necessary – when someone states that they are actively thinking of suicide. Hypothetical past thoughts about suicide will not get someone put on psychiatric hold.