Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Do you need a plaintiff and defendant to go to court? Small

Customer Question

Do you need a plaintiff and defendant to go to court? Small claims court? I just need something signed by a judge. Do I need to file a lawsuit for that?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Yes, in order to get a judge to sign an order or a judgment, there must be a lawsuit filed by a plaintiff against a defendant. Unless the parties are properly brought before the court, the judge cannot make a legally binding ruling.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
So, if you want a court order directing/requiring another person to perform a task or function, you will have to file a suit and get a court order.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. That's a pretty direct answer to my question. I think I can take it from here.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
No problem and thanks for your question. If you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On second thought, this would mean my taking the head of the Spanish stud book in Spain to court. She has requested that I get a U.S. judge's signature on some document verifying that I indeed own my Spanish stallion. This is to get him registered because the person I bought him from got him without papers. I was hoping I could do something much easier since I believe I have all the appropriate and conclusive evidence available which shows that I have owned him for the last three years since I bought him. When the stud book head requested this, she probably did not understand how we do law in the United States. Neither did I. I don't think she wants to be sued, but that's in essence what you're telling me; is it not?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
A judge isn't going to sign off on anything that verifies that you own the stallion unless it is an issue in a lawsuit that the judge is presiding over.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
So, a lawsuit would have to be filed in order to get a judge to make any ruling or decision in any situation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got it. Thank you
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
No problem and good luck with this.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
No problem and good luck with this.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
If you need anything further, please let me know.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again.