How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101323
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering how long a bank can withhold your funds.

Customer Question

Hello i was wondering how long a bank can withhold your funds. I have been banking with chase for over two years and i never had a problem with them. they froze my checking account and they have been withholding my funds for about three months now. I have funds in my account but i cant access it. I personally think they have been holding my money for to long. can they do that to me?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. A bank normally will not simply freeze one's account for no reason. Surely there is more to the story than this. Was there a judgment against you? Or some fraud accusations? What happened? Please be specific. Thanks! This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes there was an accusation against me but i thought it was resolved. The overdraft fee and the amount the claim pertained to was paid off they already deducted that from my bank account but thwy still. Dont let me access my funds.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Someone in your situation may wish to file a satisfaction of judgment. See HERE. Along with this, one would file a request for RELEASE of the account since the amount has been satisfied. The Court should - upon finding that the amount has been paid - order the levy terminated. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!