Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son was 16, he didn't have a license, but he was driving

Customer Question

My son was 16, he didn't have a license, but he was driving his friends car, they got pulled over, the police wanted him to take a blood test but he was scared, as people who know the law you know that means he got suspended, before he ever had a license and the Oklahoma DPS say he must get a breathalyzer on his car. Its been three years and he couldn't do anything. There wasn't much to do, he has been and still is in high school, I am his dad and I am saying its time for him to actually have the ability to drive my car to a job. But he can't get a drivers license without a breathalyzer on his car, but he doesn't have a car. I am asking is there any way to talk some sense into this DPS? They are making it impossible for a young man to get a start in life with all this which seems like more piled on him than what I've seen older people get from when they were actually driving drunk.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, even if he does not have a car, the requirement is still the same. He must have Ignition Interlock Device on any car that he drives. This means that you have to give consent for the device to be installed in your vehicle if he is going to be using your car. That is the current law and the only ones that can change it would be your State Legislature and your Governor. DPS only enforces the law. See Oklahoma Statutes Title 47 Section 47-11-902a. I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you honest and correct information eventhough that information may not be in your favor. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.