Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Me and my husband have been together years and just got

Customer Question

me and my husband have been together for 8 years and just got married, he wants to adopt my daughter which she is 10 he has benn raising her for 8 years . i went to an attorney and told me that my husband needs to do a criminal background and fingerprint check. we live in houston texas but nobody seems to tell me where to go to get it done i called the city and its a dead end i have research the web and nothing im lost. maybee you can help me all i know that it has to be a background and fingerprint check for adoption. Thank you
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: that i need a criminal background check and fingerprint for adoption
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Your husband would have to file a petition for adoption and for the termination of the parental rights of the biological father in the family law court for the county where the child resides.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
The father would have to be named as a defendant in the case and served with process -- as he's entitled to object to the petition. IF the father objects, the judge would have to determine what is in the best interest of the child.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
If there is no objection by the father, then the process is fairly easy.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Here's a very good article that outlines the process in Texas:
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Here's a good link that outlines the adoption process for a step-parent:
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!