Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I bought a used vehicle and purchased an extended warranty

Customer Question

I bought a used vehicle and purchased an extended warranty with it. I had it for no more than 3 weeks and the transmission has gone out. I've had it towed to a dealer and they are looking at it but before they even get to the transmission, they are looking at my cost for repairs at $500. Do I have any recorse to take it back to the original dealer and trade vehicles?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no this just happened on Fri and it is in the shop and they just called me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: the $500 is for other things the repair shop (another state, another dealership) found wrong.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. The sale of a used vehicle is unfortunately as-is. When a car breaks down a few weeks after the sale, there is never a right to exchange it. Look at your extended warranty to see what it covers.You may not have to pay for the repairs if the warranty says it covers the transmission and the new items found. But if not, unfortunately, you don't have any right to return or exchange the car unless the original contract contains a clause that provides for a return policy (this would be very unusual in a used car contract). The seller also doesn't have to pay for the repairs - it's up to the buyer to have a mechanic look at a used car before making the purchase. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.Good luck.
Did you have any more questions about this?