Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Last summer, I offered to help a former tenant who was moving

Customer Question

Last summer, I offered to help a former tenant who was moving from WI to Seattle go through items she kept in her storage locker in WI. We had a verbal agreement (via email) that she would pay me a certain rate to go through her things and send her what she wanted and donate or discard the rest. After numerous conversations, and emails, I have sent her what she asked for, but I still have 50 boxes I am holding for her. I told her she needs to get them by April 30th or I would dispose of them. I have received no further communications from her, and she hasn't paid me. Am I obligated to continue to hold her stuff (it's mostly junk)? Can I legally get rid of it?
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..What the person has done by leaving their property with you is create a "voluntary bailment" with you being the bailee. A voluntary bailment is when one party, the bailor, leaves personal property in the possession of the bailee with permission or consent. The bailor can return and take possession of the property at any time before the bailee terminates the bailment and the property is considered abandoned. A bailee can terminate a voluntary bailment by giving notice to the bailor that they need to come get the property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed of..In order to legally terminate the bailment, you have to give written notice to the bailor at their last known address. I would send it certified mail as well as first class mail in case they have a forwarding address with the post office. State that you are terminating the bailment and the bailor has 7 days to remove the property or you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it. On day 8 if it is still there, you can dispose of it as abandoned...thanksBarrister