Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My question is this. In online gaming. Where a player pays

Customer Question

My question is this. In online gaming. Where a player pays for an event under a set of rules as outlined. Then the company changes the rules to an event after the event has start, changing the results. Is this fraud?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. It's not necessarily fraud although it could be. The contest rules can allow changes to be made after the event has started but if they don't then even if it is not fraud you could still demand your money back since the contract would have been breached. The legal definition of fraud in CA is "“Fraud” means an intentional misrepresentation, deceit, or concealment of a material fact known to the defendant with the intention on the part of the defendant of thereby depriving a person of property or legal rights or otherwise causing injury."
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for that. I will review the rules again to see if there was any provisions for said rule change. As I have screen shots of the company in question stating no changes will be made and more where they did .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your time on this matter I will contact a lawyer in my area.
As I said, even if it is not fraud you should still be able to get your money back. If the company doesn't agree then report them to the Attorney General. Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.