Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I bought a car from offlease only in florida palm beacj

Customer Question

hi ,
I bought a car from offlease only in florida palm beacj branch ,went to the dealer with my son got an approval on a 12k car paid 3k deposit according to them, 6 days after they call me saying I have to come back give them 2 thousand more because the bank didnt approve the loan thats after they signed contrac printed registration and attached the plate and we drove off , now they keep calling me to go back there pay or return the car.I read onle of the caluses on the contract it says in case we or you do not complete the transaction finance dont get acepted Im suposed to return the car pay a whole bunch of fees including the daily usage of the car. I called the police they said its a civil matter there is nothing they an do. what are my rights and how can they do that???
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. I'm sorry you're dealing with this – but the police are right - it is a civil matter. It's a contracts matter, specifically, and your contract states what happens if the transaction failed to go.
The best thing to do now is to find a way to subsidize that payment – whether by credit card or another source - or to plead for leniency and try to figure out with them another way to delay payment of that $2000.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you saying they are right for doing this?
I'm saying they are completely terrible for doing this – but I'm not at all surprised since this is not unusual when a loan fails to go through.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
why did they let me drive off with the car then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
why did they cash my check?
A lots of times people are allowed to drive off the lot and the loan has not yet been approved – and when the loan is not approved there's nothing that can be done other than to essentially recall the entire transaction or figure out an alternate way to pay for that transaction.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if Im not happy with the car after a week I wouldnt dare bring it back because I know what would happen
I don't know why they cashed your check – that's a question for them. But I don't want to lie to you because then I won't be doing my job.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks for your help but I do not share the same opinion as you
I'm just trying to explain the law to you. I'm sorry if it's not favorable to you. I wish it was...