Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Long story short I was served with papers court date

Customer Question

Long story short I was served with papers for a court date regarding a poor marketing decision in which I was misled. When served, I completely disregarded the papers that explained the court date that I did not show for.There is now a judgement againt me for 14,000.. I will be filing for bankruptcy within the next 30-90 days maximum. I understand if I don't pay them they have the authority to go to my bank I do business and request half less one $1 of my funds. My bank confirmed this to be factual and they could do this without any of my knowledge until after the fact. My questions are...1. Is there anyway I can protect my funds in a public bank? 2. Would it be of any benefit to switch Banks? As of the moment I am looked at as a sole proprietor although I did pay the fees to become a S -Corp I do not do everything that is required to be a legitimate S-corp. At the moment I have a business checking a personal checking and One credit card all with the same bank. 3. In regards ***** ***** credit card I have, are they able to attach themselves to that as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time. Todd
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. 1. There's no way to protect the funds in a bank account they're already aware of before you file for bankruptcy. Once you file, there's an automatic stay on trying to collect debts against you. They'll be notified of the suit and they'll have to file as creditors. They cannot seek a levy against your bank account at that time. 2. If you switch banks, they won't know where your accounts are, making it more difficult to collect anything using a levy. 3. They cannot attach themselves to credit cards and increase your debt to pay themselves. Only non-retirement deposit accounts. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Did you need more help with this?