Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

Denied an apartment in Arizona misdemeanor charge in

Customer Question

Denied an apartment in Arizona for a misdemeanor charge in 1999 is this legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you.
Arizona is very strict with regard to criminal background checks. They can deny to rent to a person with even a misdemeanor. There is no statute of limitations with regard to how far back the landlord can look into your history to refuse to rent to. You that being said your timing as perfect as there have been issues with tenants arguing that this is discriminatory and changes in the law should occur shortly.
The issue is at this point that those with a past criminal record are not considered a protected class...
This is the link that sets out the laws in Arizona https://housing.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/AZ%20Residential%20Landlord%20and%20Tenant%20Act%20-%20Revised%20July%203%202015.pdf. The fact is that the factors being taken into consideration will be the type of criminal act and the length of time the potential tenant has been crime free.
I know this is not your answer you were hoping to receive. I too find this very disheartening. That said both the federal and state government are in the process of implementing laws that are much more lenient depending on the nature of the crime.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have. It will be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA and thank you for understanding that I do not make the laws. I have a duty to provide you with correct legal information even if it was not the response you were hoping to receive.
Where is the apartment located in Arizona?
Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have. It will be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA and thank you for understanding that I do not make the laws
I wanted to follow up with you to see if you had any additional questions for me. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.
Please ignore the premium services offer.