Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Today at work about 2 hours ago(it's 12:03 am now) my co-worker

Customer Question

Today at work about 2 hours ago(it's 12:03 am now) my co-worker hit me (18yo 130bs) on the face and choked me for a few seconds before my manager took him off. The guy (22yo 180+lbs) didn't find the comment I made about his mom too funny and decided to give me the hardest hit I've ever taken. We were rearranging some furniture and there was this coffee table that I had to move to another spot as I single handedly picked up the table he was jokingly chanting in the background "pick it up, pick it up" as I moved closer to the spot my manager had told me to put the table, I jokingly said "that's also how I pick up your mom" I put down the table and that's the last thing I remembered. Apparently he had whacked me on the face onto a counter and then began to chocke me, thats what my manager and other coworker said. Now after regaining conscious I thought it was all ok he just hit me a little and I felt guilty so I apologized to him after he came back from his car after raging all over the place. I was sorry for some reason, I felt bad ( guess that's just how bad he hit me). My manager fired him on the spot and told him to leave, he said I might as well be fired for being involved. I was confused and scared, I didn't want anyone being fired for such a stupid reason ,I thought to my self, as I felt the world spinning beneath my feet. My boss told me to fill out some sort of paper and oh boy was that a challenge, first few questions. DOB, I thought I was ok but apparently not because I put today's date there and every single word after that didn't mak any sense whatsover. The guy was kinda sorry I guess he realized maybe he went a "little" overboard with the joke. The fire rescue came because my manager could tell something wasn't right about me even though I told him for the 5th time I was ok. When they arrived I told them I wasn't feeling alright that I might even have a concussion, the guy laughed at me and said "you good" and left my manager asked me what I wanted to do, At this point I knew something wasn't right in my head and maybe I should call a parent, so I did. I asked them for advise, They said I should press chargers, I agreed. I told the police what had happened when they arrived and they said it was a case of battery/assault and they gave me a case number. And I'm sorry for making this so long but even now I can't get my thoughts together. Now my question is what should i do next? If I press chargers what type of outcome can be reached from that? Should I just leave it alone and go on with my life?? Advice please I'm begging.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I work at hhgregg in homestead FL my only injuries are scratches and and this terrible headache. My face may also be bruised tomorrow. For now I'm going to bed.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
I hope you are feeling better. Tomorrow you need to see a doctor to document any injuries. The prosecutor's office will be in touch with you soon. This is the process for seeking criminal charges. You also are entitled to seek money from him in civil court by filing a lawsuit.
If you have no further questions, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated as we only get paid for positive ratings of 3 stars or more.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What type of law suit? I have no idea where to start
WE can talk by phone if you like for an additional charge or I can continue answering. This would be a civil lawsuit filed in civil court where you ask the court to award you money damages for the assault this person did.