P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

Just looking into the potential...a county supervisor who is

Customer Question

Just looking into the potential...a county supervisor who is pro on marijuana issues votes on policy for marijuana issues. Her brother in-law has a pot farm. As a county supervisor Does her voting to set policy for these farmers become a conflict of interest because of the family member?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. A conflict of interest, under CA law (found at Gov. Code, § 87100 et seq), arises when a public official stands to benefit financially from a decision.So, for example, if the supervisor in question was the owner of the farm? They would be prohibited by CA law (again, Gov. Code, § 87100 et seq) from voting on this issue.What you are describing, it does not sound that they would benefit (since neither they nor their spouse own the pot farm) unless there is evidence that they would benefit? It is not a conflict under the lawPlease let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.