Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My husband received a speeding ticket in Bluff City, Tennessee

Customer Question

My husband received a speeding ticket in Bluff City, Tennessee on his way to a NASCAR race. We got home Friday evening from vacation and in the mail was a speeding ticket caught on video of him "supposedly" going 59 in a 45 MPH area. I pulled up the video and it does not look like he is going over the speed limit. There is an electronic citation with a number and requesting $50.00. If you try to fight it, they will tack on an additional $100.00.
In small print on the back of the form it states that paying is an admission of guilt. Also you CANNOT go to jail and it does not show up on your driving record.
My question is...is this even legal? He wasn't pulled over and no knowledge until we got the notice in the mail.
Again it has on the tear off sheet to send the check to "Payment is an admission to guilt or liability"
I just wanted to check with a legal person before I just hand over 50.00 to a little small town in Tennessee that tells me they will charge additional 100.00 to fight it.
Thank you
Janet Ramsey (###) ###-####
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
Janet, unfortunately, this is legitimate and is legal by statute in the state of Tennessee and a few other areas. There are states that have made these motion camera tickets illegal, but they are currently legal in Tennessee. The crazy thing is, like you said, the ticket will not go on your record, but if you do not pay it, it can affect your record and your driver license adversely. As such, based on my experience and knowledge of these systems, nationwide, it is best to send in the money and be done with it from that perspective. The next thing you need to do is to send certified letters to your representatives and senators to protest this lack of due process and to have laws instituted which make this type of system illegal in your state. I wish I had better news for you here, but unfortunately, this is the reality of the situation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work. Best wishes going forward!