Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

My son 17 was at a friends house in the yard drinking a beer

Customer Question

My son 17 was at a friends house in the yard drinking a beer when cops showed up for noise complaint. They made him blow and released him to adult of the house. They told him they were handing over to prosecutor and did not issue a citiation. Is it legal in wa. State for your child to drink on private property with parent consent. Or does the parent have to be present
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Unfortunately, for an exception to the minor in consumption of alcohol to apply, a parent or guardian would have to be actually present. You can read the law as to this offense and the various exceptions here.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, forgot the link:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This will not effect his license at all? He was not in or by @ vehicle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will this effect his license
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. Your son is a juvenile still in Washington State. Typically, unless he has a record already, this case would be diverted and he would get a chance to enter into a special program where he faced a period of supervision during which time he'd have to stay out of trouble, pay some fines, do some community service and take some anti-alcohol classes. If he does all he's supposed to during the probation period, the case would be dismissed. In that way he should be able to avoid the 1-year suspension of his driver's license, which your state imposes upon minors after a conviction for this offense regardless of whether an automobile was involved in this incident or not.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.