Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A vendor has a lease from the county on a public equestrian

Customer Question

A vendor has a lease from the county on a public equestrian facility, I was a boarder (one of several) who brought to light his poor care of the horses, violations of his contract with the county, bullying and threats to boarders, etc. Despite our meetings with county officials nothing was done. He evicted me as I was not only the most vocal but also a former professional equestrian. The county stood behind him and has done nothing to correct his practices or behavior but rather set an example of what would happen if you complained. What are my legal options against the county/vendor.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to sue the vendor for breach of contract and negligence for their treatment of your horses. You can also add into the suit a claim for unlawful eviction from the property for complaining about their breach of contract which they owed you a duty to cure. The county has their discretion as to how they deal with these complaints, but your issue here is about the conduct of the boarder directly, so your suit against them would be for breach of contract, unlawful eviction and negligence.