Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I'm a general contractor that hired a cement subcontractor.

Customer Question

I'm a general contractor that hired a cement subcontractor. I have signed the contract agreement for cement contractor to take out old slab and form and pour for new slab for $2664.00. The contractor removed old slab. But I decided I didn't want him to form and pour concrete. Tear out slab cost 350.00. I asked for my remaining balance of contract that I paid in full and the subcontractor refuse to refund me. What legal action can I take to get the remaining balance of $2314.00?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Unless the agreement called for the sub to be paid the full amount regardless of whether the entire job was completed, a court should award you a judgment for the refund. You will have to sue in small claims court on the legal theory of "unjust enrichment" and hope that the sub remains solvent enough to pay the judgment. I hope that my Answer has been helpful and that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.