Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Do I have any right to sue another renter who had me evicted

Customer Question

Do I have any right to sue another renter who had me evicted based on false charges. I was arrested and left homeless based on bogus info. I spent a full year appearing in court with multiple hearings with nobody showing up on the D.A. side.
I was left homeless and had to spend a lot of money to find lodging for for me and my dog. All this based on lies and nobody ever showing up to court. All charges were dropped.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. If the renter made up charges or abused the system to cause you legal problems, you can sue this person for abuse of process and malicious prosecution.......and you can seek damages from this abuse, which could include the legal fees you incurred, the cost of finding replacement housing, etc.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
You should see a lawyer in your area about pursuing a claim against this person as soon as you an as there are statutes of limitations that apply....some can be as short as 1 year.