Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am recently divorced and my ex spouse has been doing contract

Customer Question

I am recently divorced and my ex spouse has been doing contract work for an attorney who has been disbarred. A judgment was filed just prior to my divorce decree. The said attorney paid the judgment monies and assigned to himself. Do I have any legal recourse?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. I'm not following your question... do your have legal recourse for what?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I acquired property in my settlement. Now after 8 years the property I acquired is tied up with a judgment that an attorney who as been disbarred and is doing business with my ex husband has paid and assigned the judgment. No conflict of interest there?
Okay, so I'm starting to understand... you received property in your divorce settlement with your ex spouse and now there is some judgment against that property. What I'm not following is "is doing business with my ex husband has paid and assigned the judgment​" - who paid what and to whom? and who assigned what to whom? I'm sorry but that last part isn't clear.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The judgment was from a local bank. A line of credit that was taken in 2003 secured by equipment . on demand note. My ex husband and I were separated for eight years. In June of 2015 they demanded payment. My ex and the said attorney made some sort of barter arrangement. The judgment was paid assigned and because my name was still on original loan. I'm stuck. So it seems.
I'm sorry - I'm going to need to opt out of your question, but all of your information is saved here so that another expert will be able to help you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 months ago.
New Expert here. In which State did this happen? Did the divorce decree specify who was responsible for paying the judgment? On what date was the original judgment filed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have a settlement agreement which was signed Sept. 29, 2015. State of Pennsylvania. The judgment was filed on the 19th of October 2015. Divorce was finalized on the 4th of December 2015. The settlement agreement states that I have given up all rights to all property. I was deeded a tract of land in order to satisfy amount that was still owed to me. That tract of land now has a judgment on it.
Did you ex give you a warranty deed to the property? Do you have title insurance? Were you named in the judgment as a defendant?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes, no and yes
Please clarify, did the divorce decree specify who was responsible for paying the judgment?