Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

April 17th of 2015 I went to get my jewelry, furniture, clothes,

Customer Question

April 17th of 2015 I went to get my jewelry, furniture, clothes, shoes, pans, dishes, everything I have collected in my 40 years. I have journal listing all that was taken by Ex boyfriend's 22 year old daughter. He also abused me physically, sexually & mentally. He beat me up & I called 911 & before police arrived I hit him. He left & when police arrived they took me to jail for assault. You can see my black eye in mugshot. I had Mark on back from nightstand corner when he dragged me by my ankles to the floor from bed. My eye was hit so hard it split & I was almost knocked out. I didn't know what was happening. I spent 21 days in jail. Gaurds would tell me I didn't look like a "jaily". I told detective he abused my sexually & what horrible person He was. I wanted my lawyer present so detective gave me his card for me & my lawyer to make appointment. I was the Secretary for the law office month before this for year. My lawyer could not make it back in time because he was in Las Vegas. I called detective & he said no he wouldn't see me so I could tell him everything. I had visible marks & bruises on arms, face & even under clothes. I couldn't take pictures in jail. I have scar on back & my right eye is pushed into sinuses. I have swollen right eye now from sinuses. Third time it's done this since he punched me. My eye is permanently damaged! I have large shopping bag of receipts that date year or less from when most everything I own was taken. I also have pictures of items. They took my children's things too. They charged me with deserving the peace. I called 911! This past year I didn't live, afraid to go anywhere,afraid of what someone could do to me that I would later pay for, in many ways. But I've decided I will not be a victim anymore! I just hope I haven't waited too long to act on. Thank you for reading & I appreciate any input you might have...
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 5 months ago.

Hello. . My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can - but I don't actually see any question written...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had two phones. One for work & other personal. The 911 call was one of the last calls I made on iPhone. I still have phone & shows my call. He drove himself to hospital thinking he needed stitches but didn't. Doctor refused to see him because he was being so disruptive & yelling. They called police on him also & 7 police showed up at hospital & he was in jail for 2 days. I don't know why he was not charged with assault & more. Officer took picture of my eye.

Is your question "why wasn't he charged with assault"? I understand the need to say what happened to you but I want to make sure i actually answer your question - but there isn't one listed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know this because I worked for a law firm. Thank you

What is your question for me?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just need to know statue of limitations for everything stolen. I also realized time is not going to make things better & I want to stand up for myself. I should have & almost made report many times. I'm ready niw, I just hope it's not too late.

The statute of limitations for theft/injury to personal property is two years. Please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I looked up §22-1a-18
States- Restriction to victim- modification or revocation of sentience.
I thought maybe if I can prove what he did to me, & I know they will find things they kept & didn't sale. My Chanel clutch, zebra drawstring purse, new last year- navy & white coach. Many other things I'm sure they kept. Can my charge be expunged & dropped if I can prove I am the victim. Be nice to get some of my things back too.

I'm sorry - I don't know what you mean by "restriction to victim"... Do you mean "restitution"? That applies when someone is charged criminally - that's not a civil charge you can bring.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After I make report & give pictures of items stolen & do police then get a warrant & do they go to jail when items are found & or await for trial. Its definitely grand larceny, not petty. Also what I'm just wondering if anythiny will even happen. I know you can't tell me what or how another will react to a situation. But what in your opinion do you think can happen? from your experience?

After you file a police report, the police investigate. If they find sufficient evidence, they would pass it along to the prosecutor's office -who would decide whether charges will be filed. They don't typically stay in jail while awaiting trial. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know they will bond out. When I was 16 I sent someone to jail for 20years. I find it hard to believe a man & his daughter who combined what they did to me is worse. I told the nurses in the jail & the detective. Almost seems like I could press charges against detective for doing nothing about what information I shared with him. Its unjust. I have lost a year of my life from what they did to me. I was the victim yet I went to jail for 21 days. It haunts me. Now I live in my own prison. I just don't understand how this is possible. Don't they keep 911 tapings? They would here me crying saying my boyfriend punched me. Would that not be evidence enough for just the assault charge? I should have emidiatly acted on this but jail had lasting affect on me & I just don't understand how I was punished yet I was the abused. The system is so wrong.

They do keep 911 recordings but not indefinitely. And it does sound like you have a good amount of evidence against your ex - but it's important to pursue things like this so that they don't just get buried. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in responding it's because I'm working with another customer or simply not at my computer - but I assure you I will respond as soon as I can. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating.

Hello again. I wanted to check in with you to see if you have any questions, and to see how everything is going with you.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so.