Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I had surgery to my large intestine to remove a large cancerous

Customer Question

I had surgery to my large intestine to remove a large cancerous tumor . The surgery was conducted in the traditional manner, and after the removal of the section of colon it was reconnected . The surgery occurred in June 2000. In August of the same year, I became deathly ill due to the fact that my colon came apart at the point where it had been reconnected. As a result when the doctors open me up to save my life they found three and a half liters of waste in my abdominal resulting in life-threatening septic and peritonitis. causing sepsis and peritonitis. I died twice on the operating table while the doctors were saving my life. I ended up with an ileostomy, because the infections killed most of my large intestine .
I filed a malpractice suit a year later, only to have a third party independent doctor say in so many words quote s*** happens. Since that time, I've had five additional surgeries. 4 of which was to reconnect my 14 inches of colon back to my small intestine in 2004 - 2005. I was in the hospital and nursing homes for the next 11 months. Over the course of these years, I have lost count in the number of serious life threatening staph and yeast infections . Having had so many surgeries and procedures, I have a large amount of adhesions and scar tissue in my lower abdomen, I feel pain each and every day.
Another serious side effect to all of this is: damage to my pancreas in 2000 resulting in type 2 diabetes; I also suffer from clinical depression because of all of the surgeries; and, suffer from PTSD. These conditions are documented through the Veterans Administration.
Thankfully I have VA Health Care because I am a disabled Coast Guard veteran.
I am not someone who is looking for a handout. I just want to be compensated for all of the Damage Done To Me over these last 15 challenging years.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Jack Lyons
Expert:  Joseph Rizzo replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Was the case dismissed or just never proceeded forward? Did you lose the case? Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!