Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I live out of state and I've been told by Title Pawn in Alabama

Customer Question

I live out of state and I've been told by Title Pawn in Alabama that the only way to make a payment is to come into their office. Previously I made all payments via phone or Walmart to Walmart and they would pick it up. Shouldn't they have other payment options available to those not able to physically come into their office? If this is the only option available they will not get paid because I live 700 miles away from Phenix City, AL. Can they require me to only make payments in person by law?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything in the paperwork that states you are only able to make payments in person?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see nothing in the paperwork stating that payment has to be made in office. For the last 6 months I have made the payments via Walmart to Walmart to a member of management.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no way possible that I can make these payments in person. In going by this new "rule" I do not see any way for them to receive a payment. I'm afraid that they are going to destroy my credit and/or pick up my vehicle. I have tried speaking with the office to see if I can mail the payments in and was told that was not an option. They are only wanting to accept payments made in person. I am trying to get ahead of this before it turns into a bigger issue.
I ran a quick search and didn't see anything that supports their position and hadn't heard of anything like that. My first suggestion is to hire a local lawyer (you can find one that does "consumer law" at www.lawyers.com) to write them a letter and send them your payment through their office. I suspect that will solve the situation. In addition you can file a complaint through the state Attorney General and at the Alabama Banking Commission at http://banking.alabama.gov/complaint.aspx I would be sure and start with the local attorney and that way you can be sure you don't lose whatever is in pawn.