Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I got a Gridlock/Straight ticket in the mail. I was completely

Customer Question

I got a Gridlock/Straight ticket in the mail. I was completely unaware of any traffic violations
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: It is from SFMTA (San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency) and the code was VC2256A
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't' have any traffic violation history and good driver. I was completely unaware of this until the ticket showed up in the mail
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. The good news is that this is a No Points violation. So you are only looking at a fine and it will not impact your insurance. This violation occurs when you get stuck in the middle of an intersention. That is when you enter the intersection and the light turns red while you are in the intersection. Here is what the Vehicle Code says about this violation: Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side"Fortunately, this violation carries No Points:"VC12810.4. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no violation point shall be given for a conviction of a violation of Section 22526. " So while you can certainly fight the ticket it is difficult to win these violations because the law does not provide any leeway. If you enter an intersection while in slow moving traffic you can almost count on the violation. However, California allows you to fight the ticket by mail. This is called a "Trial by Declaration." While rarely successful it can't hurt to try. The process for Trial by Declaration should be listed on the citation. Remember you have to pay the fine even if you are fighting the ticket. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck, Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.