Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

My credit cards have been targeted and apparently hit and

Customer Question

My credit cards have been targeted and apparently hit and used by a group of people who seem to do things like put a charge later on of something I have purchased ect I truly think it's the dates they are changing and this works for them they did the same with my checking. What would you do is this were happening to you and ongoing. I have not found an easy way to check ,file, and prove this. Now my cards and disputes are being denied by the banks. They apparently think I am scamming them . So what constitutes an unauthorized charge. I though it was a charge I didn't make. Like for instance I allow someone to use my card on one purchase. I check and this is it. One purchase yet the next statement there are many charges. Then it becomes a matter of who actually did it. I only know I did not do it. So how do I handle this? It's so time consuming and an ongoing battle. Like I placed an order for new phones, 4 smartphones, a mini iPad, and direct tv and Internet. I paid down on the order 388. Well I didn't get anything and when guy called to come put in the direct tv the management said no, no more satillites. So then when I got a bill saying I would owe much more than agreed. I called up att within the grace period and cancelled everything including the uverse I had for I had nothing but problems and I was no longer getting any kind of discount. My intentions were to reorder it all. Well ups said they delivered the pkg of equipment to office at 7 to Dee. Not true. So they agreed to cancel. I haven't been able to get it cleared up at all. I got bill in mail for one of smartphones 167. I called get passed from one to another ect. I even went to phone store they said they couldn't fix it. So here it is since March 31st. How do I handle this I do not want to pay for service and equipment I don't have. I want my deposit back. What do I do.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your questions. There are quite a few issues going on in your narrative and I will try to address each one. But first, what I would do, and have done, is to close the affected accounts. In other words, close your credit card and any bank account that has been affected. You can then open up a new credit card with the same bank or carrier (assuming they will do so for you now) with a new account number. Likewise, your bank can simply close one account and open another. However, and this is very important, you must not give anyone else your new credit card or account numbers ever. Once you do you are set up for the same round of charges. If you gave your credit card or bank account information to someone, then you are liable to the bank or creditors for those debts. That is on you. You might still be able to file suit in small claims court against the person or persons who charged items you didn't give them permission to, but that is completely different than a fraudulent charge you can have the bank absorb because of fraud or theft. Again, once you give someone any permission at all to use your account or card, you cannot hold an innocent third party (bank or business) responsible for your act in doing so. If you think you can prove they didn't have permission to go that far, then you file suit as I mentioned. But, you can stop this in the way I mentioned above, close the accounts and open new ones. In addition, you can freeze your credit through the credit reporting agencies. That has the effect of not allowing anyone to open credit in your name. You can lift the freeze yourself whenever you need to apply for credit or a loan. You can find out how to do that by going to the following link: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 13th. For some reason, the Experts on the Site are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have received neither.Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/Thank you.