Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My lawyer is withdrawing, what can I do?

Customer Question

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, your attorney does not have to continue working if their fees are not paid and they can withdraw "as long as the withdrawal does not cause their client extreme prejudice" which means they cannot withdraw close to trial or a hearing to leave you hanging. You have to come up with some type of deal to make your attorney satisfied they will receive payment or you would have to find a new attorney to represent you who will work with you on your fees.
Your other option is to change lawyers and go to legal aid and try to get them to take your case since you can no longer afford an attorney or you would have to represent yourself.
Those are the options you have here to deal with your attorney.