Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I live in PA. I just received a Civil Action Hearing Notice.

Customer Question

I live in PA. I just received a Civil Action Hearing Notice. A creditor is suing me for a credit card balance that is past due. The debt is valid. My last payment on it was 1/15/13. I became disabled about 4 years ago. My sole income is Social Security Disability, which I understand is "garnishment-proof". The home I owned with my ex was sold at Sheriff's sale Dec 2015. Ex kept our only vehicle (in both our names), so they can have that if they can find it. She hasn't paid on that in 6 months and has it hidden from that creditor! Anyway, should I appear at the hearing? How do I notify about my Disability income? Do I notify the Magistrate or the Creditor?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no. can't afford one
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: That's why I'm looking for help online
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.
Is this something you want to try and work out and possible go on a payment plan or do you just not care?