Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

Why would a judge sit on a judgement ruling and allow the defendant

Customer Question

Why would a judge sit on a judgement ruling and allow the defendant time to file a jnov and schedule a hearing to enter judgement but doesn't enter the judgement this was a civil trial with a unanimous verdict of all twelve jurors ruling guilty of fraud malice and Breach of Contract in Texas..Mind you a continuance was granted to the defendant with the motion being filed through the court only a "courtesy copy of the motion was sent to the judge the exile was kicked back...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Trial Ended February 24
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.
I don't understand the last part of your question about the continuance. Did you have an attorney represent you at trial? Did the other party? How much was the jury verdict for?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes we had an attorney this was a three week trial the other party had two different law firms..The continuance was granted to them to allow them time to file a jnov
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The jury Verdict was on 1 part breach of contract 4.5 Million plus 1 million in attorneys fees the fraud and malice about 3.5 we chose breach easier for them not to appeal
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm just looking for an answer if and when a judge has to sign the judgement I'm so frustrated with our judicial system here in Brazoria County I'm ready to head towards all news stations
All I can say is that lawyers who win that kind of verdict don't usually sit around doing nothing about. Judgment NOV, means that the judge and perhaps even your attorney may think that there is something so wrong with the verdict that it will certainly be reversed on appeal. In such case the judge can enter a judgment for the other party Not Withstanding the Verdict. (NOV). You should ask your attorney what is going on.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh believe me we have and she has hounded the judge this litigation took 3 1/2 year's before it even went to trial
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He did not grant the jnov to the other of yet and stated in record he I tented on entering judgement on the breach of contract award. . But hasn't this has been three weeks ago is there a time line he is required to sign our judgement
Ask your lawyer if TX has a "lazy judge" rule, where a judge who doesn't rule within a certain number of days after a trial can be removed from the case by the State Supreme Court. Another judge would be appointed to finish the case and enter a judgment. We lawyers don't like to use it for obvious reasons. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.