Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

In Nebraska is a spouse responsible other spouse's

Customer Question

In Nebraska is a spouse responsible for the other spouse's medical bills, and can their credit report be affected by a judgment.
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
Which spouse incurred the medical bills? the husband or the wife?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
See this law. It says in relevant part: The term family herein includes a husband residing in same household with other members and medical services for him are necessaries for which wife may be liable. Nichol v. Clema, 188 Neb. 74, 195 N.W.2d 233 (1972).Husband is not bound without his assent to a contract made by his wife relating to a subject other than necessaries of life. Lincoln v. Knudsen, 163 Neb. 390, 79 N.W.2d 716 (1956). Based on the foregoing case law, NB treats medical bills as "necessaries for life" so both spouses can be held liable for the medical bills of the other. You can try to argue that since husband never signed any agreement with the medical provider to pay for wife's debt, that he is not liable. That may fly since NB is not a community property state and if the medical provider/debt collector is not smart enough to know about this case law.