Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am the POA mom and she is living in a Medicaid approved

Customer Question

I am the POA for my mom and she is living in a Medicaid approved assisted living home that charges $675/mo to her and this is the amount mandated by Medicaid. However, my moms Social Security benefit amount is only $598. Consequently, she is short $77 every month and has zero money left for personal needs. I have contacted SS office and they said I should contact the Old age Pension to see if I could get anymore dollars for her. Their office keeps sending me back to SS office. Could you please let me know who I can talk to (a real person) that can help me with this matter. My dad died in Jan of 2016 and I have filled out all necessary paper work so she can get his benefit amount which is about $30 more, but she will still be short money every month. Thus far Social Security has not done anything for her. She really needs to be in a home as she has dementia and I am not sure how we can keep covering this monthly shortage.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What was the monthly benefit your father was collecting from social security at the time of his passing?

2. Is there some reason that you are not presently considering place her in a nursing home?

Thanks in advance,

Doug