Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

How anda where Insurance look cars?

Customer Question

How anda where Insurance look for stolen cars?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
Insurance companies will look for stolen cars on police reports of found property and at car auctions. On occasion, they stolen cars will show up on interstate camera systems utilized by state and federal law enforcement as well. Some insurance companies may make request or send notifications to law enforcement entities to be on the look out for cars that are reported as stolen and those camera systems will be used in the process. By in large, insurers are waiting to hear back from law enforcement in the same manner as the person that owned the car. Statistically, it is normally about 50/50 whether or not the car is recovered and the odds are frankly, even less that the car is recovered without damage. By the way, I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience in this industry. Let me know if you have any other questions and please also rate my answers positively (three or more stars) as well. Best wishes going forward!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, if car is repossess and license plate is being replace, would that make it hard for them to find it, because I got new license plates on the car the day they reposed and I didn't even have the time to install them because it was towed with old ones which I have no idea what the numbers were..
Yes, that would make it very difficult to find unless the car was stopped and the officer ran the VIN number on the car. They may be able to find it at a car auction though. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You mean car auction or tow yard, same thing, if vehicle is not for sale yet?
Car auction. Cops do not go into tow yards without reasonable suspicion in most cases. However, car auctions will include the VIN on a master list that can be read by the cops in many cases.
Did you have any additional questions or comments?
Just checking to see if you have any other questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You mean if tow yard is not selling car, it won't be easy to find it there just sit it. Right?
That is correct. Sometimes law enforcement when searching for a stolen car will call the tow yards though to see if there is a vehicle matching the description of the one they are looking for at the time. Let me know if you have any other questions and. Please rate my answer positively as well. Thanks