Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is there a statue of limitations after a business is closed

Customer Question

Is there a statue of limitations after a business is closed n 2006 for someone to sue the company?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.What woudl the suit be for? contract breach, personal injury, fraud, something else?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Massachusetts, something else
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, each state's statute of limitations are dependent on the cause of action...For example, a personal injury suit usually expires before a contract suit. If you can tell me what someone might try to sue the business for, then I can tell you how long they have to do it before they are prohibited... thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not sure what we are being sued for, the company was owned by my husband and one of the brothers that he was in business in with another company is suing him,the business was a car delarship. We sold the land to another Corp. and have not been in business since 2006
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then this is likely some type of contract dispute or collection case. If that is the case, then the statute of limitations would be 6 years so would have long since passed. If it was some type of fraud or injury to personal property case, the SOL is only 3 years..So if the business closed in 2006 and whatever it was happened then or earlier, then the SOL would have already expired and they would be barred from suing now...thanksBarrister