Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

Can a company cancel your retirement insurance benefit after

Customer Question

Can a company cancel your retirement insurance benefit after you have even receiving it
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, the short answer is yes. However, they cannot cancel it without cause in the vast majority of cases. The statement of what justifies cause should be contained in the contract or documentation that set up the benefit in the first place. This is unusual to say the least and is something that should be investigated heavily. If they did not specifically cite a legal basis for the cancellation, you need to request one in writing through a letter with a return receipt. If they cannot give a reason, then you have a very viable case for bad faith in the circumstance. By the way, I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Please let me know if you have other questions and please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks