legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I live in Arkansas and I just went to buy a car. I paid for

Customer Question

I live in Arkansas and I just went to buy a car. I paid for it and when I got home I looked over the title and Bill of sale and the man selling was not listed on either. He never registered the car under himself when he got it and both the title and Bill have the first owners name. I asked for documentation of ownership or I wasn't going to sign it. He keeps saying it will be ok and had his family's lawyer call me and say to just do it. But I know in the state of Arkansas he is required to have a bill of sell with his name to show he owns the vehicle. I'm getting frustrated and want to give the car back now because I am to hesitant to drive it with this many red flags.what are my best options
Expert:  legalgems replied 5 months ago.
Generally it is a red flag if a seller of a car is not listed on the title; it makes that person unauthorized to sign the title. When registering the vehicle at the DMV, they will require a signed title- signed by the owner listed on the title; the bill of sale should also state the parties' respective names. This can mean one of 3 things: 1. The sale is legitimate; the seller just never got around to registering the car. Assuming the seller was the true owner, and the original owner is still available so that the necessary documents can be executed to register/transfer to the buyer, then there is no problem (this can be seen, most typically, when a family member sells a car to a family member and never gets around to transferring title) 2. The sale is illegitimate. The seller is not the owner and does not have authority to transfer title. 3. the seller is a car flipper (read here)You mentioned the family's lawyer called you; here is a link to the state bar so you can verify the person is an attorney: As a matter of policy,it is NOT recommended to purchase a car from someone whose name is ***** ***** the title. Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Checking in to see how things went before the question closes;if you have no further questions, thank you for using Just Answer!