RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My question is if the judgement is 3400.00 can they

Customer Question

My question is if the judgement is for say 3400.00 can they take more.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. The answer is yes and no -let me explain. When a creditor gets a judgment against someone in court, typically the court order allows them to collect fees, costs, and annual interest until paid. So, for example, a person may have an original credit card debt of $3,000. But, the judgment after being held liable for the balance, plus the creditor's filing fees and attorney fees, plus annual interest, means a judgment could be say, $5,000 or more -even though the principal debt was less. Also, a creditor who obtains a judgment can seize assets worth more than the judgment amount -but if the item is sold for more than what is owed (after fees and costs are assessed), a debtor is entitled to the balance. So, for example, if I default on a loan and owe $10,000. The creditor seizes a classic car that own to satisfy the debt. The car is sold at auction for $12,000. That's more than the judgment, so I'm entitled to whatever is left over after all the fees -towing of the vehicle, storage, auction fees, etc. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Did you need additional information? You have not yet left a positive rating, so if you need more information, kindly click on REPLY and I'm happy to help. Otherwise, remember that this is not a free website, experts work on the honor system, and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces.