legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Are there laws in Nevada about endangering the life of an animal.

Customer Question

Are there laws in Nevada about endangering the life of an animal. My neighbor chased my dog and hers around the streetl while hitting them on the head with a watering can. She later attempted to spray my daughter's chihuahua with mace/pepper spray. I just went to jail for a dog at large due to her complaint about my having a dog off leash. I wish to counter complain.
Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.
I am very sorry to hear this;Here is the statute re: animal cruelty:574.050. Definitions.As used in NRS 574.050 to 574.200, inclusive:1. "Animal" does not include the human race, but includes every other living creature.2. "Police animal" means an animal which is owned by a state or local governmental agency and which is used by a peace officer in performing his duties as a peace officer.3. "Torture" or "cruelty" includes every act, omission or neglect, whereby unjustifiable physical pain, suffering or death is caused or permitted.Here are the penalties:574.100. Overdriving, torturing, injuring or abandoning animals; failure to provide proper sustenance; penalty.1. A person shall not:(a) Overdrive, overload, torture, cruelly beat or unjustifiably injure, maim, mutilate or kill an animal, whether belonging to himself or to another;(b) Deprive an animal of necessary sustenance, food or drink, or neglect or refuse to furnish it such sustenance or drink;(c) Cause, procure or allow an animal to be overdriven, overloaded, tortured, cruelly beaten, or unjustifiably injured, maimed, mutilated or killed, or to be deprived of necessary food or drink;(d) Instigate, engage in, or in any way further an act of cruelty to any animal, or any act tending to produce such cruelty; or(e) Abandon an animal in circumstances other than those prohibited in NRS 574.110.2. A person who violates subsection 1:(a) For the first offense within the immediately preceding 7 years, is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be sentenced to:(1) Imprisonment in the city or county jail or detention facility for not less than 2 days, but not more than 6 months; and(2) Perform not less than 48 hours, but not more than 120 hours, of community service. The person shall be further punished by a fine of not less than $200, but not more than $1,000. A term of imprisonment imposed pursuant to this paragraph may be served intermittently at the discretion of the judge or justice of the peace, except that each period of confinement must be not less than 4 consecutive hours and must occur either at a time when the person is not required to be at his place of employment or on a weekend.(b) For the second offense within the immediately preceding 7 years, is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be sentenced to:(1) Imprisonment in the city or county jail or detention facility for not less than 10 days, but not more than 6 months; and(2) Perform not less than 100 hours, but not more than 200 hours, of community service. The person shall be further punished by a fine of not less than $500, but not more than $1,000.(c) For the third and any subsequent offense within the immediately preceding 7 years, is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.3. In addition to any other fine or penalty provided in subsection 2, a court shall order a person convicted of violating subsection 1 to pay restitution for all costs associated with the care and impoundment of any mistreated animal under subsection 1, including, without limitation, money expended for veterinary treatment, feed and housing. Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
http://www.lvvhumane.org/how_to_report_abuse.php Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.
Checking in to see how things went before the question closes;if you have no further questions, thank you for using Just Answer!