Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Wages are being garnished however the creditor says my account

Customer Question

Wages are being garnished however the creditor says my account is paid off and the attorney says they no longer represent the creditor. Why are my wages still being garnished and how can I get it stopped? Furthermore where is all this money going if this is the case? Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Creditor says it was paid off at the end of last month
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Hello​This is Samuel. I suggest you get a letter from the creditor showing a Satisfaction of the Debt and Release of Garnishment. You will take that to your employer and they will stop garnishing. In the meantime, you will need to also file that with the Court that has ordered the garnishment and request an Order for release of garnishment. That way it will be on the record. Any monies that have been forwarded since the balance was paid should be return to you by the creditor.
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.