Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and chronic demyelinatio

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and chronic demyelination polyneuropathy. Also I have blurred vision sometimes extremely bad and tremors with my whole body shaking at times. I receive IVIG infusion ever 4 weeks to try and put me in remission. Also I need surgery on my neck and back but that has to only be done when i am in remission. I applied for and SSDI and received it. My father died and I inherited some money. From everything I have read if you are not required to be penalized and your SSDI stop or decrease. That is done only if you are receiving SSI. A caseworker at social security want me to disclose my inheritance even though I am not a millionaire from my inheritance. I have worked since a teenager and am almost 55yr. Also want to know if I purchased anything to help with my rehab and show the receipt. All the lawyers I have talked to says this is not suppose to be happening since you are on SSDI. Only if you are on SSI. The worker at social security say they need to know this information so they will know whether to stop my SSDI. My Neurologist has written a letter on my behave and told them NO I can't work and I am 100% disable. My primary Doctor is doing the same thing. What can I do to stop this individual from stopping my social security SSDI. I have nothing to hide but don't feel it right to do this. Please give your professional opinion and advice. Thank you
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Unless you have applied for SSI along with the SSDI, Social Security Administration CANNOT stop your SSDI because of your inheritance because unlike SSI, SSDI is based on whether you are disabled and whether you have worked long enough to earn benefits. The Social Security Representative is not entitled to the information regarding your inheritance as it does not impact your SSDI. However, you are required to report any income received from work so that Social Security Administration can determine your continued eligibility for benefits. So, the only thing that I can think off why this request is being made is to determine whether this is an actual inheritance or earnings from work. So, you need to report the inheritance to get this issue off the table. Make sure that you provide documentation so that there would not any question as to the source of the income. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Expert:  paolo-cssm replied 6 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/law/9p249-diagnosed-multiple-sclerosis-chronic-demyelination.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.