Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

A few months ago I inadvertently gave a client my ex husband's

Customer Question

A few months ago I inadvertently gave a client my ex husband's corporate tax id number and when I realized what I had done I just let I go thinking "since I always file
his taxes I must remember to include tis amount ($7500.00) in his income and pay him for
any additional taxes owed. When I finally received the check I sent the check to him and ask him to process it and after check cleared, send me the money..he went out in left field!!! He said that if he
cashed that check he would be legally responsible for anything that I might do in the
future..lawsuits,etc Although we were married for 35 years and still keep in touch daily I
really don't understand how one check from an insurance company ( I keep elderly and disabled people and I had a contract with them to take care of one of their clients for so
much a month).Even though I made a mistake I don't understand how that would make him responsible for me in the future ..what is correct?
Gidget
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
Hello Gidget​This is Samuel. So the check you received was made payable to him? If that is the case and he cashes the check, then he is correct. If you are sued and he has cashed that check, then he can be called in on the suit as a third party. It is all about a paper trail.
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
I suggest the his reference to "in the future" pertains to this case only. Of course, he would not be responsible for any other lawsuits that were not in regard to this case.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HI SAM,
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW HE WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR FUTURE LAW SUITS,ETC FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE NOT JUST FROM THE MAKER OF CHECK BUT FOR EVERTHING ELSE THAT I DO
WITH JUST ONE CHECK THAT I EARNEDOptional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Texas
What have you tried so far?: REASONING WITH HIM..AND LOOKING FOR OTHER SITUATIONS LIKE THIS ONE
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
No. Not for the rest of your life. Only if there was a lawsuit brought in the case for which you received the check.
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
And it will be entirely up to him to help with this matter. Of course, you cannot force him to do it. You could provide an accurate ID number and state that you just realized you inadvertently provided your ex's number and ask for it to be correct and another check cut. Return the check.
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
As I originally stated: "Of course he would not be responsible for any other lawsuits that were not in regard to this case."
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.