Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My wife missed here 2yr green card date (this week) and wondering

Customer Question

My wife missed here 2yr green card date (this week) and wondering now what to do. Should we send in the paperwork or will I need a lawyer?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. People who missed the deadline for the I-751 want to send it in anyhow. USCIS will generally look the other way if the couple provides a good reason (illness, etc - the generic term is "good cause"), or the deadline has not been missed by much. Even if USCIS rejects the I-751 on the basis of being late, one still wants to SEND IT IN FIRST, because there is no alternative step once you are late. If USCIS rejects it, the decision may be appealed through several administrative appeals and to the Court even, if needed.See HERE. You always want an attorney if possible. But even without one, one sends in the I-751, and includes a cover letter explaining WHY one was late, detailing good cause. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!