Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

The lawyer that did my moms will retired can she redo her

Customer Question

The lawyer that did my moms will retired can she redo her will with a different
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Absolutely, she can do so. The lawyer that drafted her original will has no continuing proprietary interest in your mother or your mother's will. So, she can have any lawyer re-do it. Also, she may not need to re-do her entire will if she only has a few changes. . Rather, she can make such changes by doing a Codicil...which is a fancy legal term for an amendment when a will is involved. In the Codicil, she would reference the original will, state that other than the changes in the Codicil all terms and provisions of the original will remain in full force and effect, and then specify which provisions of the original will are being changed. She will want to have the Codicil signed, witnessed, and notarized in the same format as the original will. Then, make sure she keeps the Codicil with the original will so whoever gets her will at her death will know the Codicil exists. She can do this herself or you can seek the guidance of a lawyer, but she is not obligated to engage a lawyer to do this for her. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!