Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Can Home Owners Associations legally come on your property

Customer Question

Can Home Owners Associations legally come on your property without your knowledge and take pictures of your property.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

The answer to that question depends on what is stated in the CC&R documents that govern how the HOA is to be run. Normally, an HOA might have the right to come on to the property to inspect for a violation of the development’s rules or regulations. This is allowed only if the HOA has good reason to believe a violation is occurring.

If the HOA enters on to your unit with just cause, then, yes, it risks liability for trespass. Also, notice to the owner is typically required before any entrance to inspect for a rule violation. The HOA governing documents usually say something about what type of notice the HOAs must give. The courts commonly require that HOAs provide an owner with “reasonable” notice as per any given circumstance.

If you believe they entered in violation of the terms of the governing documents, you might have a legal case against the HOA for trespass. Also, the HOA might be liable for a breach of fiduciary duty if it acts in a discriminatory manner based on race, religion, etc. Also, selective enforcement is not permitted and is often an indication of discrimination or a personal ax to grind by an officer in the HOA. An HOA has a fiduciary duty to act in the best interest of all the development’s homeowners and to enforce all the rules and restrictions fairly.

Yes, you can put a no trespassing sign and if they are only enforcing the rules against you and not others you can defend on the grounds of selective enforcement. You may want to take dated picture from the street of others who have garden animals.